Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Of Balance & Sweet Mystery




Grandmother Grandmother, my heart is your drum
in seasons that have passed and in seasons to come.
Grandmother Grandmother, unbraid my hair,
bathe me in sweetgrass, be with me in prayer.
Grandmother Grandmother, wash me in light,
wrap me in mystery's indigo night.
Grandmother Grandmother, hold me to you breast,
feed me your wisdom and comfort my quest.

Grandaughter Grandaughter, your heart is my drum
in past times of being and times yet to come.
Grandaughter Grandaughter, let me comb your hair,
light up the sage, let me wrap you in prayer,
sweet mystery there,
the depth a woman shares.

Grandfather Grandfather, my hands are your fire,
trusting and dancing are all that's required.
Grandfather Grandfather, I braid back my hair
and set to the work we humans all share.
Grandfather Grandfather, help me today
among my relations I touch on the way.
Grandfather Grandfather, walk by my side
in rhythm with my heart and the ocean's tide.

Grandaughter Grandaughter, your hands are my fire,
open and ready to do what's required.
Grandaughter Grandaughter, walk here by me,
we'll share the stories, the ones yet to be,
sweet mystery,
the distance a man can see.

In the distant depths of my chemical sea,
Grandmother, Grandfather,
the God that made me.
When I need counsel,
the balance I see,
is to walk beside Him and
sit next to She.
When I need counsel,
the balance I see,
is to walk beside Him and
sit next to She.

Artwork by Charles Frizzel

No comments:

Post a Comment